In-service volunteers are members of the Mad River Community Hospital Volunteers, Inc., who donate their time to work at the hospital in a number of interesting, useful jobs. Volunteers donate over 10,000 working hours per year to support Mad River Community Hospital.
Adult volunteers are those ages 18 and over. Our adult volunteers range from college students to seniors. Adult in-service volunteers generally commit to working one or two four-hour shifts per week.
Junior volunteers are those aged 14 to 17 who volunteer for one three-hour afternoon or evening shift per week throughout the academic year. Juniors perform many of the same activities that adult volunteers do at the hospital.
Junior volunteers can receive community service hours to help meet high school graduation requirements. For students interested in medical fields, volunteering provides exposure to health careers and valuable experience for college applications.
What Do In-service Volunteers Do?
Your role as a volunteer will depend on your interests and schedule and the needs of the hospital. Some volunteer positions include:
- Staffing the hospital information desks and assisting patients and visitors with questions
- Staffing the Short Stay Surgery waiting room desk, acting as a liaison between patients, families and the surgical staff
- Providing delivery services for patient mail and flowers, daily newspapers for inpatients, and beverages and special trays from Dietetic Services for patients.
- Staffing the Volunteers' Gift Shop, which is the major funding source for the Volunteers, Inc.
- Providing greeting services and clerical help in the Birth Center
- Giving clerical support to many hospital departments
- Helping hospital staff with special projects as requested
In-service volunteers also serve as guides for schoolchildren who tour the hospital, knit hats and booties for babies born at the Mad River Birth Center, sew pillowcases for comfort pillows given to post-surgical patients, distribute books and magazines to patients, and help in a hundred other ways!
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the hospital, see How to Volunteer or call Director of Volunteer Services at (707) 822-7220, ext. 4133.